What to do if you can smell gas.
- Call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999
- Turn off the gas supply at the meter
How to turn off your gas supply
- Find the gas Emergency Control Valve. This is often outside in a meter box. If not, look under the stairs, under the kitchen sink and in the garage.
- Turn the Emergency Control Valve’s handle a quarter turn.
- After turning the lever should be at 90 degrees to the Emergency Control Valve’s body.
- Open all doors and windows.
- Do not turn any electrical switches on or off, including your TV, computer, oven, etc.
- Put out any naked lights, e.g. hob or candles. Do not smoke, strike matches or do anything that could cause ignition.
- Open any electric doors or gates manually.